Why start a doTERRA business?
Wherein Leonie TOTALLY READS YOUR MIND...
I know what you might be thinking:
Fucking essential oils? How do I build a 6 figure business from smelly shit?
Multi Level Marketing? Isn't that a pyramid scheme?
Is this Amway? GROSS!
Is this really something for me?
Here's why I reckon the doTERRA business model is pretty bloody brilliant.
- They are really, really generous. They have one of the most generous compensation plans in the industry. It's actually really doable for committed people to earn 6 figures.
- They have one of the highest retention rates of customers in the industry - doTERRA enjoys a 68 percent retention rate, compared to a direct selling industry average near 10 percent. After joining doTERRA, 68 percent of all customers reorder, continue to share doTERRA products, or build a doTERRA business. What this means is: customers are REALLY happy with their orders... and it's easier for doTERRA businesses to continue earning moolah!
- They were just ranked the #2 best MLM company worldwide to partner with (despite being a relatively new business - they only started in 2008!)
- You don't have to hold stock or pay for expenses... it's pure profit. (Which, to me, having spent $500k last year to print workbooks, is a masssssive turn on!)
- Financial boner alert: it is also residual passive income. Once you build your business, you will have income for the rest of your life.Basically... a really fucking cool retirement plan. I think it's a beautiful insurance idea really... for when you want to take holidays, have time away to have more babies, if you get sick or if, you know... LIFE happens!
- The reason they sell it as a multi-level marketing company (also known as "network marketing" or "direct marketing") is that doTERRA wants you to find a doTERRA business owner (called a "Wellness Advocate") who supports, educates and helps people get the most out of their essential oils. They don't want people to just go into stores and buy them. They want people to be connected and helped through the process so they can get the most benefit out of the essential oils. Being a doTERRA Wellness Advocate isn't really about "selling" - it's about sharing, connecting and helping people. Or as Em says "I get to hear everyone's secrets so I can help them! I get to be their OIL FAIRY!"
- It's still a (very) untapped market... less than 1% of the population use essential oils... but over 70% of the population are interested in using natural products to improve their health.
- Essential oils are something people need to purchase again and again - which increases your earning rates as a business as you get a commission for everyone's orders for all time! Also... as you'll soon learn... they are a bit of an addictive thing that brings people so much joy!
- They have a really wonderful fair trade model of business that support communities in developing countries to grow indigenous plants for their area.
- They do some beautiful philanthropy work as well.
- Read more about doTERRA's achievements + corporate social responsibility here.