I’ve been adding to a recommended reading list for Anti-Racist resources for a couple of years, and realised I didn’t have a comprehensive one for gender, sexuality, mental health & disability as well… they are spread out over my yearly best books lists, but need a resource post all of their own.
Here’s some excellent books & learning resources that have been important for me to understand gender, sexuality, trans & disability rights. These are all books I’ve read personally and found wildly helpful.
- Queer: A Graphic History – Meg-John Barker and Julia Scheele
- Gender: A Graphic Guide – Meg-John Barker and Julia Scheele
- Gender Queer: A Memoir – Maia Kobabe
- Pronoun Lowdown – Nevo Zisin
- Many Love – Sophie Lucido Johnson
- Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities
- Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
- Gender 101 course – Ericka Hart
- Women Don’t Owe You Pretty – Florence Given
- How To Be Ace: A Memoir Of Growing Up Asexual – Rebecca Burgess
- First Year Out: A Transition Story – Sabrina Symington
- Psychiatric Tales – Darryl Cunningham
- First, We Make the Beast Beautiful – Sarah Wilson
- Marbles – Ellen Forney
- Rock Steady – Ellen Forney
- Gorilla and the Bird – Zack McDermott
- Say Hello – Carly Findlay
- El Deafo – Cece Bell
- A Quick & Easy Guide To Sex & Disability – A. Andrews
- SBSK Youtube channel
- Squirmy & Grubs Youtube channel
I’ll keep adding to this list as I read them! And please let me know your recommendations as well!