Today I’m talking all about connected parenting.
My daughter struggled going to school this morning and I wanted to share how I supported her and her poor little nervous system.
Here are some of the strategies I implemented:
- Long strong cuddles (at least 20 seconds)
- Deep breathing
- Asking gentle questions
- Validating her emotions and feelings: “Stop, Drop, Empathy”
- Helping her with tasks she was struggling with (getting dressed)
- I sat next to her in the back of the car on the way to school and held her hand
- I told her all the reasons I love her (she was STOKED by this, it totally engaged her)
- Try to keep my cup full (our kids bounce off our own emotions and behaviours)
- Respond with empathy and gentleness
- Recognise that parenting is fucking hard and that we are all doing our best by our kids
Just to reiterate: this is one sweary motherfucker of a podcast. So if you listen to it around kids… they will defo learn some new vocabulary from Aunty Leonie. MWHAHAHAHA. ENJOYYYYY!
How to listen
In this episode I mention:
Want to find all of my podcast episodes?
Just pop over here treasure!
You can also just sit on your couch and yell “OK Google! Play me “Leonie Dawson Refuses To Be Categorised” podcast!” and your digital servant shall administer to your needs.
Who gives a fuck about privacy when you can have a little robot assistant at your beck and call so you may never leave the couch again.
HONESTLY HOW GOOD IS LIFE.