(Me. At a work function. Falling off my chair laughing. As usual.)
G’day gorgeous souls!
I got this wonderful question today from Ali in San Diego:
Leonie, you’ve so inspired me to create the business of my dreams! I so want to quit my office job so I can do it full time, but I don’t have the cashflow right now to do it. What should I do?
I think this is *such* an important question. It’s one I get often with private coaching clients.
And I’ve got some answers that will probably surprise you.
Here’s my advice:
Your number 1 objective right now is to pay the bills.
I never encourage peeps to quit their jobs before their business is ready to support them, and here’s why:
If you are freaking out about how to pay rent every single week, your brain is going to switch into reptile-fear mode. That is NOT the place to be growing a business from. You won’t be thinking smartly, and you won’t be feeling too happy. It’s a recipe for anxiety.
Not having to worry about finding money to pay rent while you play with your passions & work out what you want to do is a good thang.
It also means you’ll be able to invest the money from your day job into your education and your business.
Having the back-up of a job’s money, structure & stability can be really healthy. It definitely was for me!
Here’s some handy hints on how ROCK having a job while you grow a business:
- Find a place that doesn’t suck to work. You know – one that isn’t super awful & without a nutty boss.
- If you can find a place that is flexible & allows you to go part-time at some stage, even better.
- BRING GLITTER WHEREVER YOU GO.I’m convinced that half the reason my office job was lovely was because I made it lovely.
I was the one who did angel card readings at her desk.
The one who held a hugging competition and hugged 200 people in one day.
The one who gave shoulder massages to other people.
Who wrote very silly weekly roundup emails to bring joy to the job.
Who interviewed people in the office to find out what their passions were, and got them published in our work newsletters.
I even took a three month stint doing financial reporting (yuck!) because I wanted to see just how far I could spread the glitter into the belly of the public service dinosaur.My findings?
People everywhere are open to love and joy and having fun. They just need someone to start it.
- Once your business is built up, and your income streams have been worked out and fine tuned, then you can start the process of transitioning from full-time work to part-time work to full-time business goddess. It doesn’t have to be an ALL IN, ALL OUT kinda thing.
- You do NOT have to quit your job in order to start the business of your dreams. My recommendation is having some balance, and doing it in a way that is fun, easy, non-stressy and in line with the evolution and growth of your business.
- I repeat: You can have a job & STILL be a business goddess. Be gentle on yourself, dearest. Give yourself the gift of time to grow and have fun without massive pressure!
How To Become A Business Goddess SOONER Rather Than Later: 5 Tips!
- This is a REALLY good opportunity for you to practice saying the Sacred NO.
- Education, education, education. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: investing in a mentor and business education is the very best amplifier of your business you can ever make.
- Only Do Stuff That Fills Your Well. When I was building my business and working, I just didn’t have as wide a social group as I used to. The reason? I was pretty dang committed to making my passion into a job. And I didn’t have spare energy to fritter away. So my social group contracted to be the peeps I really, really wanted to hang out with. And that wasn’t a bad thang at all.
- Get freaking good at discernment + prioritising. ONLY do stuff that will make a BIG difference to your business.
- Work SMARTER, not HARDER. Don’t do shit that doesn’t matter. Don’t burn yourself out. Only do the important stuff!
Good luck as you navigate the job + business roles.
And remember this:
No matter where you are,
you can always, always rock the SHIT out of it and have the most fun possible!
High fives and love beams!