I reckon one of my big purposes in life is to share my experiences, my learnings, my mistakes and my successes with you all… I want to give back to the world as much as possible.
So over the next few months, I’m going to be sharing exactly how I grew my passions & hobbies into a BIZNESSSSSS… and not just a wee bizness, but a 7 figure, high profit business.
We’re going to be doing a deep dive in this Business Success Series, and cover a HUGE range of topics including:
- marketing principals
- mailing lists
- joint ventures
- sales pages
- sales funnels
- raising your prices
- keeping your sanity as a business owner
- and much, much more!
This will be SO FUN!
Make sure you are subscribed to my weekly digest here so you don’t miss a single Business Success article!
And please share this series along with anyone else who needs business support.
This one is a bit more of a cerebral task… in coming Business Secret series, we’ll drill down into much more pragmatic advice. But this is still such an important pillar to work through.
You can also listen to the companion podcast episode for this blog post:
Click play above, or or subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, PocketCast (or wherever else you listen to podcasts!)
You need to know the demographic of the person you are here to serve, because the more you know them, the more successful you will be. The more intimately you know them, their stats, their hopes and dreams and pains, the more powerful your business will be. You need to know what they love and where they hang out and what they are wanting and what they wake up worrying about.
And then you’ll know how to find them. How to serve them. What they want and need. And how you can best help them.
I put together this illustrated cheatsheet to help you work it out… you can get it straight away by popping in your deets in the form below.
Tips On Discovering Who You Serve
Don’t get your head stuck up your own ass on this one.
If you can’t figure it all out, just fill out as much of the worksheet as you can. And keep adding to it as you learn more. You will craft your worksheet as you go along.
Start creating what you want to create… and see who starts turning up. You’ll be fascinated by who shows up.
Your demographic will reveal itself.
Do Yearly Surveys Of Your Glorious Humans!
I don’t always know exactly who I’m serving until I survey them.
How To Get People To Actually Take Your Surveys!
Sometimes it can be tricky to get people to actually answer your surveys… so you need to help them along the way. Here’s some tips to get more people taking your survey – the more you can get, the better!
- Have a deadline for them to do the survey by
- Tell them how long (i.e. “just a couple of minutes”) it will take
- Hold a competition with a winner to receive a highly coveted prize – i.e. a gift voucher with your business, coaching services, or a gift voucher to Amazon
- Give something to everyone who completes the survey – for example an e-book, meditation or workshop.
Survey Services You Can Use:
Here’s some of the questions I ask in my surveys:
(Feel free to model your own on this. I wanted to give you specific examples so you know what to ask to gather useful information for your business and Ideal Client Cheatsheet!)
- Tell me more about you…
- 10-15 | 15-19 | 20-29 | 30-39 | 40-49 | 50-59 | 60+
- What social media do you use regularly (at least 3-4 times per week)? Check all that apply.
- Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest YouTube Google + LinkedIn Other (please specify):
- What is the highest level of school you have completed or the highest degree you have received?
- Less than high school degree
- High school degree or equivalent
- Some college but no degree
- College degree
- Post-Graduate degree
- How would you describe yourself? (You can choose more than one answer!)
- Creative Hippy or spiritual
- Other (please specify):
- How did you find me?
- Random web surfing
- Google search
- Blog mention
- Word of mouth
- What was the number one reason you decided to purchase one of my courses/products?
- What is the biggest benefit you’ve gotten from working with me?
- Do you take other online eCourses?
- Yes, please specify which ones
- What do you wake up worrying about?
- How long have you been following me online?
- Just started (less than 6 months)
- More recently (6 months to 2 years)
- Forever! (feels like more than 2 years)
- What product or coaching do you most want from me next?
- Which of the following describes you? (You can choose more than one option!)
- I’ve never thought of having my own business and am not interested at all in it.
- I’m in a state of transition and not really sure what I want to do.
- I have a creative/spiritual hobby that I would LOVE to turn into a business!
- I work for a corporation, but have a side gig I’d like to make full-time.
- I’m just starting out with my business.
- I’m already pretty successful with my business (making more than $40,000 per year) + looking to grow.
- I’m already very successful with my business (making more than 6 figures) + looking to grow.
- If you own a business, what field is it in?
- Coaching (life coach, marketing/business coach, law of attraction coach, etc.)
- Sales (product, insurance, real estate, etc.)
- Healer (spirituality, alternative medicine, EFT, etc.)
- Health & Wellness (yoga, nutrition, massage therapy, beauty, etc.)
- Professional (virtual assistant, accountant, lawyer, medical, financial, travel planner, etc.)
- Other (please specify)
- If you own a business, what do you MOST want to know about to help your business grow?
- What are your top 3 problems you want an answer to right now?
It Will Change Over Time
As your business grows and changes, and as you grow and change, so will your ideal clients. I’ve been fascinated to watch as my audience has evolved over the course of my business from being older and with zero interest in being a business owner to being a younger audience who are much more interested in business and marketing.
I tend to revisit my Ideal Client Cheatsheet about every couple of years or so to update it.
Your Ideal Client May Become Unideal Over Time
As your business grows, and you evolve as a person, you might notice that your ideal clients no longer fit. For example, you might realise that you are attracting clients who:
- Aren’t ready to invest in themselves
- Are professional victims
- Don’t actually use or implement your product/service
- Are disrespectful of your time or energy
- Are high maintenance.
As you discover what doesn’t work for you anymore, you can adapt your worksheet, and keep adjusting your sales message so that you’ve got clients who are a better fit for you.
But what if you don’t know who you want to serve?
If you’re in the very very beginning stages and still aren’t sure who you want to help yet, here’s what I recommend:
Start sharing your work. Start helping people. Not just once. But everyday. Faithfully and joyfully. Do it everyday for a year. And from there, you’ll see who shows up.
If you want to learn more about marketing tools & how you don’t have to rely on social media, Marketing Without Social Media is your next step!
May this cheatsheet bring you and your right peeps ever closer!
With overly long hugs and a big ole HIGH FIVE,
✏️ Daily-ish writings
💌 Weekly love letters
📣 Podcast: Leonie Dawson Refuses To Be Categorised
💞 A library of free treasures
📱 Marketing Without Social Media
🌟 Sales Star
💸 Money, Manifesting & Multiple Streams of Income
📕 40 Days To A Finished Book
🗣️ 40 Days To Create & Sell Your E-Course