Last night when I wrote you, I was dusty and crinkled up. Cabin feverish and ready to spread my wings.
And that whole process of writing to you had me dreaming of what I did want, what sweetnesses might be possible next.
And then this morning: miracle of miracles! My kid was well enough to go to school! And instead of just falling into our normal routine, my love and I lived the FUCK out of our morning together.
We went to a cafe! We walked along the river! We talked, and talked, and talked. I talked his damn FACE OFF.
He said: Crazy idea, but why don’t we just… NOT go home? What if we just hang out here?
So we decided that we’d sit by the river for a couple of hours, which would have been a perfectly amiable way to spend our precious time.
And then he said: While we are here… why don’t we just… get a BOAT?
I’ve been trying to convince him since November to hire a boat with me after I spontaneously took a boat out for a spin for my birthday by myself. It was the last thing I expected for today… to be surprised like this.
And just like that, we were on a boat together, cruising down the river, grinning from ear to ear. I taught him how to drive the boat and he became an accomplished salty seaman as I always knew he was.
We drifted along the river so slowly butterflies were overtaking us, and it was glorious. I felt like I was on holidays for a moment. To Amalfi or Fiji, on a tropical river, just decadent with all the loveliness.
We kept thanking each other afterwards for the experience. Next time: we’ll take the kids and hire one of those big, flat bottomed boats with couches on them. They go even slower! HO HO HO!
I’d totes encourage you in trying a boat sometime. They seem like a Thing That Other People Do, but you can do it too!
- They can be surprisingly affordable. For example, where we live it’s $40 for 30 minutes of boat hire or $60 for an hour.
- Boats take fuck all time to learn – about 30 seconds – and are farrrrrr easier to drive than a car. It’s easier than driving a dodgem!
- You don’t need a boat licence in Australia to drive hire boats. They don’t go fast enough to qualify. Ha!
- If you can hire them on a river, it’s a pretty easy place to poodle about and learn. We go on Noosa River which is shallow and fairly calm.
- Hire boats are easier to drive than sailing boats. Remember that time a billion years ago when I went sailing with workmates? Fuck that was FUN too.
Okay, that’s all.
My skin is kissed with salt and my heart is glad.
I love you all,
Weekly love letters
Podcast: Leonie Dawson Refuses To Be Categorised
A library of free treasures
Sales Star (begins March 1)
Money, Manifesting & Multiple Streams of Income
40 Days To A Finished Book
40 Days To Create & Sell Your E-Course