A practical article for you today… to help you get down to the nitty of business building!
It’s so much of what I teach in the Shining Biz and Life Academy!
Today we’re talking about building your business and getting to #1 on Google using SEO.
Now, if you, like I when I was first starting out, are like:
I’m here to help! Ha!
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation, and basically means getting your business to appear first on Google.
If you can get to the first page of search engine results, especially if you can get to the first three results, you can see a HUGE increase in your business!
It can be immensely helpful, especially if you have bricks and mortars businesses and product businesses. Online service businesses can rely on other strategies to get people in the door of their business. But often the first point of call for people searching for local businesses or products is using an online search engine. You really need to harness the power of that to make sure that you are getting in front of the people who want you NOW!
Decide what you want to rank for!
You want your business to rank in search engines highly for things like:
- Your business name (this might sound derpy, but it’s amazing how many businesses don’t do this!)
- If you are a local business, your service/product + location (including suburb, town and region). For example “Yoga
Melbourne” or “Ashtanga Yoga VIC” or “Yoga classes South Yarra”.
- If you sell online for a specific country, you want to try and rank for search terms like “Soy candles Australia” or “soy candles .au”
- Brainstorm both specific and wide terms people might be asking.
- Brainstorm what interchangeable terms people might be searching for (i.e. “energy healing” “shamanic healing” “reiki” “reiki healing”)
- Brainstorm what questions people might be asking on Google about your industry/product that you can create a blog post around that answers it.
DOWNLOAD YOUR SEO SUCCESS CHECKLIST NOW!
Second step: Now you know what you want to rank for… let’s get you ranked!
How to get ranked for SEO:
- WordPress tends to get better ranking in search engines than other content management systems.
- Use the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin
- Make sure that you have in your website title the things you most want to be ranked for (i.e. “Your Name/Business Name, Location, Industry)
- Name your pages and use headings with words you most want to be ranked for
- Create blog posts with titles that address exactly the questions people would have about your product or service.
SEO is a strange science. But it is doable, and learnable, just like everything else in business and life. Don’t get overwhelmed by it – just decide to implement what you can step-by-step.
How I use SEO to grow my multi-million dollar company!
I write blog posts with my target audience in mind, and title them with questions they may be searching for.
If I decided to start running live events or face-to-face coaching again, I would definitely make sure I was targeting SEO to rank highly for my location and service again.
I regularly look over my Google analytics (a free resource that helps you track how many visitors your website is getting and where they are going to) to see which posts and pages are getting the most amount of traffic.
It still surprises me, 12 years into this blogging gig, what posts end up being the most popular, which ones rank highly for search terms and attract a lot of search traffic. For example, some of my most visited blog posts over the past year have been ones I wrote four years ago. Why? They have great titles, well written headings, and have managed to land on the top of search results for web searches.
By building up a library of well-written articles, you’re creating traffic that will continue for years to come.
And here’s my bonus handy hint – at least every six months, check which ones are popular. (We do it every month, in our monthly reporting!
- keep your top posts that pull search traffic current – make sure there’s no broken links or images or outdated information!
- document the statistics in a spreadsheet to see how things change
- use them to funnel readers to your mailing list or your products.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
If you’re an Academy member, make sure you check out the SEO Masterclass with our guest expert Shae Baxter!
If you’re not a member yet, make sure you get on our early bird notification list for when we open again!
MAKE SURE YOU DON’T FORGET YOUR FREE SEO SUCCESS CHECKLIST!
Let’s get that beautiful business of yours boooooooming with abundance and joy!
YOU MAY ALSO LOVE…