Leonie’s No Spend Diary
Read the details on this experiment here!
18 Jan 2019
- My kids decided they wanted to have their own business by selling beaded bracelets. All our beads and beading supplies are in storage until we get our next house though. Instead, we went to the cheap shop and my kids spent their pocket money on beading supplies.
- I bought 3 art canvasses as it is one of my goals this year to experiment with larger artwork, and I didn’t have any left. I don’t want to limit my creativity in any way, I just want to make sure I use what I have when I do have it.
- Before we left we went to Muffin Break for a quick snack. It was pretty crap. Probably should have just waited until we got home.
22 Jan 2019
- So far, so good.
- Temptations so far: I watched “Destination Wedding” and was convinced by its verbose dialogue that it was based on a novel. I loved it so much that I wanted to buy the book just to enjoy it again in a different format. I was totally going to buy it on Kindle! Turns out it wasn’t based on a book though, so temptation averted this time.
- I also realised I hadn’t considered how I’m going to handle audiobook purchases. I do have 20 credits available on Audible, plus a bunch in my library I haven’t read yet. I’ll add them to my library of to-reads here.
23 Jan 2019
- We went to Big W today to pick up a pair of shoes for my eldest kid who is blooming like a wildflower. I managed to do what was up until now impossible and NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE. Didn’t look around wondering “what else we needed”. Just knew we didn’t need anything. Got the shoes and went home.
- Was home a bit earlier than usual, and took the time to make phone calls I’ve been meaning to make for months and months, including to cancel a newspaper subscription. I feel like I’m getting closer to the top of things after not feeling like that in a long ass time.
24 Jan 2019
- I finished my list of unread books I have to read today. 223 – and that’s not including the vast quantity in storage. Holy moley! At my current rate of reading, that’s 2 years supply just there.
- Consequently, I cancelled my Kindle Unlimited subscription. I really do NOT need any more books!
31 Jan 2019
- One of my kids started a new school this week. Her school fees cover all supplies so there isn’t much we had to do there. We did have to pop to Big W to grab a couple of school-ish things like new swimmers as she has grown out of her last ones. But in the spirit of No Spend, I didn’t look around the shop, trawling for something to buy. AND I was actually organised enough to use a gift card from some cashback offer thing. Usually I’d forget about them completely, but the Spirit of No Spend is alive in me… even when I do have to buy something!
- The new school recommended a couple of books for parents to read. I’ve been musing on the best way to read them – whether I hunt for them at the library or see if the school has copies. Usually I’d just run straight for my computer to put in a giant Book Depository order, but now I’m actually considering things a bit more consciously. Woo!
18 Feb 2019
- It’s amazing how quickly things just become habit now. I don’t buy things for the sake of it. I wait for there to be an actual legit need… one that we can’t do without.
- My kid asked me to buy a couple of books the other day from a series she loves. Usually I would jump all over buying it because I LOVE BOOKS and I LOVE KIDS LITERACY – so much so we have a bedroom converted into a library to store them. Instead, I told her she had options: she could borrow that particular book from the library, request it for her birthday next month or use her own pocket money. She decided to buy one herself with her pocket money, and request one for her birthday. She got the books she wanted AND started exercising her own money problem solving skills. Win win!
- The other day, my husband needed to get new shorts. As per my No Spend details here, my experiment doesn’t apply to him. He’s super fiscally conservative anyway and buys very little. Anyways – he found a pair of shorts he wanted. They were on sale, cheap + exactly what he wanted. BUT they came with a companion t-shirt. It was a tacky graphic cartoon t-shirt, the kind he wouldn’t wear. But I TOTALLY WOULD. What’s more – it was on my list to buy before I started this experiment… I was planning on getting a couple more tacky shirts as my old ones are about 5 years old and are starting to look fairly worn. I was holding off from getting them for as long as possible… but I scored one! For free! So for now, I’ve got a stack of horrific Christmas t-shirts to wear along with a new cartoon one and I couldn’t be more delighted. #classylady