As you know, at the start of this year I began to do 21 day challenges of new habits & experiments I wanted to try out. It’s been life-changing & one of the best projects I’ve ever done.
- 21 days without social media (now permanent!)
- 21 days of a deeper digital declutter
- 21 days of blogging
- 21 days of meditating
- 21 days of raising readers
- 21 days of no spending
This month I started a new challenge… 21 days of decluttering & organising!
Here’s my updated list of areas for me to declutter & organise
Kitchen drawers Medicine cabinet Lunchbox drawer & drawers above Misc kitchen cabinet
- Pot cupboard
- Cupboard under oven
- Top cupboards
Rest of house
Spare bedroom cupboard Girl’s bathroom cabinet Ensuite bathroom cabinet Hallway bookcase Clear hallways
- Beth’s room
- Beth’s cupboard
- Starry’s room
- Chris’ office
- Chris’ archive
- Hallway console
- Games cupboard
- Art cupboard
- Linen cupboard
- My art archive
Finish estate planning
- Buy a plant & plant stand for living room
Varnish painting to hang in our bedroom
I’m making tops progress, I reckon. Will I get all the projects done in 21 days? Probably not. They are more a menu of options. And I’m making far more progress in decluttering & organising with this challenge than if I wasn’t doing it.
I can already feel how much lighter & easier our space is with the work I’ve already done. Even Chris has mentioned how good the kitchen is starting to feel. And I feel positively POSH with having clear hallways instead of it being a meeting ground for boxes, DIY projects & stuff that needs to be moved elsewhere.
This weekend I did some more kitchen organising, and also finished up something I’ve been wanting to do for YEARS.
Mmmmm, such sexy words.
Basically, it’s a folder that lives in our safe that has all the important information to make it super easy for someone else to manage if/when me & Chris kark it, especially if we kark it at the same time. We’re not planning on karking it anytime soon, but it just feels good to have it in place.
I followed Barefoot Investor’s Fearless Folder checklist to help me set up the document.
My document included:
- Contact details of family members
- Contact details of accountant, lawyer, executor & staff
- Current net worth
- Details of properties we own
- Details of other investments we own (i.e. managed funds & shares)
- Insurance details (life, health, home, car & motor)
- Bank account details
- Login details (I wrote down the main password for Lastpass – my password manager – on a piece of paper, not digitally)
I also included a file with copies of:
- birth certificates, marriage certificates & change of name certificates
- company registration
- passports & driver’s licence
- tax assessments
- will & power of attorney.
I’ve got to get wills & POA updated, but they can get added in later.
For the pièce de résistance of my organisational ascendency, I:
- Gave one of my oldest (and most organised) friends a short document with how to locate the safe, the safe’s unlock code, what’s inside the safe & who to contact to let them know.
- Added a recurring item in my calendar to review the document yearly to check all the information is still correct or if it needs updating.
Anyways, I feel so fucking smug now I can barely tell you.
Smug and relieved that if and when shit goes down, I’ve made it as easy as possible on my family. Hopefully it won’t be for a long ass time yet, but In sha’Allah, as they say in Arabic.
Next up… rest. I think I’ve got a UTI, and when I was in pain last night I thought OMFG IS THIS WHAT I GET FOR ESTATE PLANNING? I FINISH IT, AND THAT VERY EVENING I DIE FROM A SORE VAG?
Sometimes I’m a wee bit dramatic – I don’t know if you can tell. But it WOULD be on brand for me, I reckon. A good way to go. Dying of a vag-related incident.
Anyways, time to rest… and then back on the organisational train when the time is right. CHOO CHOOOO!
Thanks for sharing in this journey with me!
- Newsletter with absoloodely everything I create
- Weekly love letters
- Podcast: Leonie Dawson Refuses To Be Categorised
- A library of free treasures
- Goal Getter workbooks for 2022 & beyond!
- Calm Christmas Planner
- Salt: a hottttt romance novella (published under my pen name Lola Leigh)